Talking Metronome – part 4

This is the final part of a 4-part series. See also part 1, part 2 and part 3.

I’m really running out of time now. I need to get this thing into a box and looking nice ASAP.

At this stage I’m not 100% sure it will fit. I chose the box on the basis of “Oh, that a pretty box and seems to be about the right size”. As an emergency plan B, I bought another slightly larger one in case it didn’t fit but I’m going with the smaller box because it looks prettier than the plain boring square black larger box.

Drilling and cutting all the holes for the controls took some considerable time. Mechanical work is not really my forté but I managed to pull it off without spilling any blood, destroying the boards, the box or any tools. I had to be really quite precise because it’s such a tight squeeze, I didn’t have much choice where to place the controls. The rectangular hole for the LEDs was also a challenge for my mediocre workshop skills – but I like a good challenge!

I used some PCB standoffs to bolt the ARM board to the PIC board. I had to drill some holes and hack a couple of chunks out of the PIC board to make it fit. The DAC board was glued on to the ARM board (I love hot-melt glue!) and the amp board is just kind of crammed into the end. The speaker goes underneath where it almost fits but a little brute-force got it in there. I had to re-do a lot of the interconnecting wires to make them shorter or longer as neccessary and phew! it just fits!

The lid goes on easily and I even have easy access to the programming connector so I can do software updates! The PIC is socketed so if I want to update it’s software, I can pull it out and reprogram it.

And I’ve still got a few hours spare so I resampled the audio. The 8kHz samples sounded very Speak & Spell so I re-did them at 22kHz and it’s good now.

My Dad should be pleased.

Now I can go and spend some time with my family. I’ve been cocooned in my office for the last couple of days working on this and haven’t seen them much.

Merry Christmas everyone.